GOVERNMENT OF JAMAICA
CAPACITY BUILDING FOR MARKET ACCESS PROJECT
PACKAGING INDUSTRY CONSULTANCY
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
1.01 The Government of Jamaica (GOJ) has received financing by way of a grant from the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) pursuant to the CARIFORUM-EU CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME) Standby Facility for Capacity Building under the 10th European Development Fund (EDF) in an amount not exceeding the equivalent of Two hundred and Seventy Three Thousand Eight Hundred and Eighty-One United States Dollars (USD 273,881) towards the cost of the Capacity Building for Market Access Project. The Bureau of Standards Jamaica (BSJ), the Executing Agency of the Project, intends to apply a portion of the proceeds of this financing to eligible payments under a contract for which this invitation is issued, pursuant to the Financing Agreement between CDB and GOJ.
1.02 Payments by CDB will be made only at the request of GOJ and upon approval by CDB, and will be subject in all respects to the terms and conditions of the Financing Agreement. The Financing Agreement prohibits withdrawal from the financing account for the purpose of any payment to persons or entities, or for any import of goods, if such payment or import, to the knowledge of CDB, is prohibited by a decision of the United Nations Security Council taken under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations. No party other than GOJ shall derive any rights from the Financing Agreement or have any claim to the proceeds of the Financing.
- SCOPE OF CONSULTANCY AND ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
2.01 The BSJ now intends to procure consultancy services for a Packaging Industry Consultant.
2.02 The primary objective of this consultancy is to make recommendations on the services to be provided by BSJ’s Packaging Centre by conducting a comprehensive analysis of the packaging industry (locally and globally) to include current and future plans of the local manufacturers of packaging materials, current and future packaging material needs of importers and/or commercial users, and trends in the global packaging industry; and considering the relevant regulatory functions of the BSJ, and international packaging testing and labelling requirements.
2.03 The BSJ now invites eligible individual consultants to submit Expressions of Interest indicating qualifications and experience required to provide these consultancy services.
2.04 The Consultant shall be eligible to participate if:
(a) he or she is a citizen or a bona fide resident of an eligible country; and
(b) in all cases, the consultant:
- has no arrangement and undertakes not to make any arrangements, whereby any substantial part of the net profits or other tangible benefits of the contract will accrue or be paid to a person not a citizen or bona fide resident of an eligible country;
- is not bankrupt or insolvent or in the process of either, or having their affairs administered by the Courts, has not entered into an arrangement with creditors, or is in any analogous situation arising from similar procedures provided for in their national legislation or regulations;
- has not been convicted of an offence concerning their professional conduct by a judgment which has the force of res judicata;
- has not been the subject of a judgment which has the force of res judicata for fraud, corruption, involvement in a criminal organization or any other illegal activity detrimental to the EU’s financial interest;
- is not guilty of misrepresentation in supplying the information required as a condition of the participation in the procedure or if they fail to supply this information; and
- does not expose a conflict of interest.
2.05 Consultants from Jamaica and other member countries of CDB, as well as EU Member Countries, which are not CDB Member Countries, and other countries which are eligible under EU procurement provisions, will be eligible to participate in these procurement opportunities.
- SELECTION CRITERIA
3.01 In the assessment of submissions, consideration will be given to:
- qualifications and experience, including:
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging Science, Packaging Technology, Packaging Engineering or related field.
- At least 15 years’ experience working in the Packaging Industry.
- At least 5 years’ consulting experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the packaging industry (the entire supply chain).
- SUBMISSION OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
4.01 Expressions of Interest must be submitted in English and electronically by email to email@example.com in pdf format no later than 16:30 hours Jamaica time on Friday, July 31, 2015. The email subject line should state “Expression of Interest – Capacity Building for Market Access Project” and the email body must state the name and address of the applicant. The Expression of Interest will be deemed to have been received at the time that it is received by the Executive Director, BSJ. The burden of proving receipt of the e-mail will be on the applicant and will not be met solely by a read receipt or sent items report generated by the bidder’s computer. In addition, one (1) hard copy of the Expression of Interest must be sent simultaneously to CDB at the second address below. The sealed envelope containing each submission should include the name and address of the applicant and shall be clearly marked “Expression of Interest – Capacity Building for Market Access Project.” GOJ reserves the right to accept or reject late applications or to cancel the present invitation partially or in its entirety. It will not be bound to assign any reason for not short-listing any applicant and will not defray any costs incurred by any applicant in the preparation and submission of Expressions of Interest.
- SELECTION METHOD
5.01 Following the assessment of submissions, the most technically capable and appropriately experienced applicant will be invited to negotiate a contract to provide the consultancy services.
- REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
6.01 All information or request for information must be submitted in English. Further information may be obtained from the first address below between 8:30 – 16:30 hours Monday to Friday.
|1. Executive Director
Bureau of Standards Jamaica
6 Winchester Road, Kingston 10
Tel: +(876) 926-3140-5
Fax: +(876) 929-4736
|2. Procurement Officer
Caribbean Development Bank
P.O. Box 408
Tel: + (246) 431-1600
Fax: + (246) 426-7269